Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Comments on Six Degrees and the Science of Networks

On the recommendation of a friend, who is now a very successful Internet entrepreneur following his training as a scientist and earlier career in finance, I picked up a copy of Duncan Watts' Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age. I found the work to be an informative introduction to the new "science of networks," but came away from my reading thinking that this young discipline will most likely disappoint.

Professor Watts' survey of work on the six degrees conjecture (the tantalizing yet difficult-to-prove assertion that every person is socially separated from every other person by a chain of no more than six people in the intricate web of human relationships) is clear and captivating, as is his explanation of so-called small-world networks (consisting of nodes that are locally clustered yet globally connected to all other nodes) which he spent years researching. I am intrigued by the modeling of network-related phenomena in the universal framework of phase transitions describing behavior between the extremes of highly connected order and complete randomness. I also agree with the author that the analysis of networks offers (at least some) promise of providing the scientific and business communities with a better understanding of how and why social networks (including the financial markets) both work smoothly most of the time and fail miserably some of the time.

Optimism aside, however, I see the primary weakness of the "science of networks" as being its attempt to analyze social behavior with the precision of science without offering (at least to date, in my opinion) verifiable and useful predictions of significant real world phenomena. Without the rigor of hypothesis testing and an active interplay between theory and experiment, model-building ends up looking more like creative phenomenology than science. The author tries to rationalize this apparent shortcoming by stating that Darwin's theory of evolution also lacks predictability, but here I beg to disagree--the theory of evolution predicts (notably reaching beyond creationist theories) that beneficial mutations will, through natural selection, survive to chart the course of species evolution, and life scientists continue to uncover evidence that the mechanism of evolution remains alive and well today.

Instead of being an erudite treatise on a new science, then, Six Degrees is really more of a report on the trials and tribulations of academics involved in the interdisciplinary challenge of understanding the workings of social networks. The author's active participation in this endeavor and candor in relating his experiences make the book interesting reading, though I sense that the catch-all nature of the underlying subject--which dabbles into biology, epidemiology, computer science, sociology, psychology, economics, business and the financial markets--could leave its proponents holding an empty bag when the dust settles in a decade or two. However much I may wish otherwise, I fear that the ultimate fate of the science of networks will be akin to the academic community's silent dismissal of artificial intelligence as a worthy pursuit--like the now quaint AI of yesteryear, the new science of networks appears to be too long on hype and hope and too short on delivery of truly meaningful results.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Blog. It's nice . When you get time, check out my site at investment

11:43 AM, September 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

modular home southern california
Information => modular home southern california

8:20 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

hai, your blog has a good PR. in my browser its PR is 4. would you like to link exchange wit my 2-PR blog. please visit
"forex guide"

11:33 PM, February 25, 2007  
Anonymous nifty option tips said...

Hi,Seems like it's a nice blog. So let us also add something useful in it. Trading in volatile market can be very fruitful also if we follow technical levels closely. It's a common saying that stock market can change fortune in either way. But now the question is how to earn money from the Indian stock market. Traders are advised to strictly follow technical analyses and investors can follow fundamental analysis. Many analysts say it's not wise to follow technical and fundamental analysis together. But we say what the problem is if one does so? As more knowledge will add up things will not have any negative impact.

Regards:

Nifty Option Tips

7:46 PM, July 14, 2011  
Anonymous MCX Tips said...

I absolutely adore reading your blog posts, the variety of writing is smashing.This blog as usual was educational, I have to bookmark your site and subscribe to your feed in i feed . Your theme looks lovely.
Thanks for sharing.
with regards:
MCX Tips

11:57 PM, July 27, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target.com said...

Good covered point, lots of people simply put something weired theories in front of public.

But it doesn't work i think because know one sure how it will going to happen

It looks like just coping ideas which someone has already written. I found even on

popular blogs guest bloggers bring same theories which I already know. I observed they

just try to spice up their article without knowing what really audience want to read.

trade4target.com

10:40 PM, August 10, 2011  
Anonymous trading tips said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definately be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment.

Thank You for trading tips

trading tips

3:40 AM, September 19, 2011  
Anonymous intraday tips said...

Very efficiently written post. It will be valuable to everyone who uses it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing looking forward to more posts.
Regards: intraday tips

3:45 AM, September 20, 2011  
Anonymous intraday tips said...

Very efficiently written post. It will be valuable to everyone who uses it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing looking forward to more posts.
Regards: intraday tips

5:51 AM, September 20, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too......
Thanks
Regards:
trade4target

10:21 PM, September 21, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too......
Thanks
Regards:
trade4target

10:22 PM, September 21, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too......
Thanks
Regards:
trade4target

10:23 PM, September 21, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too......
Thanks
Regards:
trade4target

10:55 PM, September 21, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too......
Thanks
Regards:
trade4target

1:09 AM, September 22, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

Thank you so much for this! I haven’t been this moved by a blog for a long time!I am waiting for your next post too.
regards:
trade4target

2:10 AM, September 23, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

Thank you so much for this! I haven’t been this moved by a blog for a long time!I am waiting for your next post too.
regards:
trade4target

3:11 AM, September 23, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

Thank you so much for this! I haven’t been this moved by a blog for a long time!I am waiting for your next post too.
regards:
trade4target

4:07 AM, September 23, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

Great informational article. I learned quite a bit . I will be using the things I learned from your article.
trade4target

12:16 AM, September 26, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

Great informational article. I learned quite a bit . I will be using the things I learned from your article.
trade4target

1:33 AM, September 26, 2011  
Anonymous trade4target said...

Great informational article. I learned quite a bit . I will be using the things I learned from your article.
trade4target

1:33 AM, September 26, 2011  
Anonymous mcx tips said...

Great informational article. I learned quite a bit . I will be using the things I learned from your article.
Thank You
mcx tips

4:49 AM, October 12, 2011  
Anonymous trading tips said...

Excellent and informative tips.I like your post and it really gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on web.
trading tips

4:43 AM, October 15, 2011  
Anonymous Mcx Tips said...

It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too......

Thanks

Regards

Mcx Tips

6:00 AM, October 17, 2011  
Anonymous Penny stock newsletter said...

I have a web site where I give advise on penny stocks and stocks under five dollars. I have many years of experience with these type of stocks. If theirs anyone interested in these type of stocks you can check out my web site by just clicking Penny stock newsletter. I would like to comment about the future of the stock market theirs always bargains in the stock market you just have to be willing to take the time to find them. Speaking of stocks under one dollar that worked out for me. I recently sold my shares in vonage holdings corporation for 5 dollars. I bought the shares in 2009 for 37 cents. The way that you find low priced stocks that are worthy investments is to have as much knowledge and experience as possible about these type of securities. Only than can you profit tremendously from these stocks.

10:26 AM, November 01, 2011  
Anonymous mcx tips said...

I think the things you covered through the post are quiet impressive, good job and great efforts. I found it very interesting and enjoyed reading all of it…keep it up, lovely job..

9:55 PM, May 04, 2012  
Anonymous Mcx Tips said...

Really I am impressed from this post....the person who created this post is a genius and knows how to keep the readers connected..Thanks for sharing this with us. I found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates.

1:45 AM, May 09, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home